I love to cook fried rice because I can unload a variety of vegetables into it. My kids won’t eat certain vegetables by themselves (example: asparagus) but somehow they’ll eat it in fried rice. This is a simple meal to cook, the most time consuming part is dicing up all of the vegetables. Bacon fried rice is one of the easiest to cook because the meat is already seasoned and a classic Chinese American meal!
- 2 cups Medium grain rice or Jasmine rice (makes 6 cups of cooked rice)
- 1-1/2 cups of diced scallions
- 2 cups of shredded carrots
- 2 cups of diced mushrooms (ex: shiitake, button, portobello)
- 2 cups of diced green vegetable (asparagus, peas, broccoli)
- 12 pieces of bacon
- 5 eggs
- 2 tablespoons coconut aminos
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- neutral flavored oil (I like to use ghee or duck fat because they are not processed oils)
- Wok or cast iron skillet
Start cooking your rice. Use this recipe to cook it in a pot.
If you are using a cast iron skillet, turn the burner to medium.
Dice 1-1/2 cups of scallions, green and white parts. Put them in a pile on a large plate.
Shred 2 cups of carrots. Put them in a pile next to the scallions on a large plate.
Dice 2 cups of mushrooms. Use shiitake, button, or portobello. Put these also in a pile on the large plate.
Dice 2 cups of a green vegetable like asparagus. You can also use peas. I like to have at least 3 different vegetables (not counting scallions). Put them in a pile on a large plate.
Dice 12 pieces of bacon. I keep these on the cutting board.
Crack 5 eggs and 1/4 teaspoon of salt in a bowl and beat until scrambled.
If you are using a wok, turn the burner to medium heat.
Melt 2 teaspoons of ghee. Cook the scrambled eggs. Put them in a bowl (I use the bowl they were scrambled in). Scrape all the egg out of the skillet or wok.
Use a knife to cut the egg into smaller pieces.
Cook the diced bacon for about 4 minutes.
Remove the bacon before it gets too crispy. Bacon should be soft and crispy on the ends.
To cook the vegetables you are going to follow these same 4 steps:
- Melt 1/2 teaspoon of ghee
- Throw in 1/4 cup of green onions and cook for 15 seconds
3. Throw in 2 cups of the vegetable and 1/4 teaspoon of salt. Cook 3-4 minutes until soft.
4. Remove everything in the skillet or wok to a plate and repeat these 4 steps for the next vegetable.
Cook the green vegetables with the 4 steps.
Cook the mushrooms with the 4 steps.
As you cook the vegetables put them back in piles on the plate.
The rice should be cooked now. Stir it slowly to fluff and loosen from the side of the pot.
Melt a teaspoon of ghee and cook the rest of the scallions for 15 seconds. Put in the rice and 1/2 teaspoon of salt. Mix together for 30 seconds.
Put in the egg, bacon and vegetables on top of the rice.
Mix everything together. If I’m using a skillet, I’ll use 2 large spoons to mix. If I’m using a wok, I’ll use a wok spatula.
Pour in the 2 tablespoons of coconut aminos and 1 tablespoons of fish oil. Thoroughly mix with the rice. You can replace the coconut aminos and fish oil with 2 tablespoons of soy sauce.
The Dumpling Mama xo