In Part 1 of my 21 Day Sugar Detox story I wrote about my reason for doing the detox and what I learned. In Part 2, I explained the things you should know when deciding, preparing, doing the detox. In this blog post, Part 3, the last of my 21 Day Sugar Detox story I’m going to talk about my Grouchy Husband’s experience.
This detox was a great experience for me. I’m really pleased with the results. The eczema I had been battling on my hands for the last two years has finally cleared up. I am much more aware of the types of sugars I put into my body and the ones to stay away from. But the very very best part of the experience was doing it with my Grouchy Husband.
Healthy, vegetables, nutritious, were not part of my Grouchy Husband’s vocabulary. He works a lot and to keep himself going and awake, his diet consisted of coffee, soda, granola bars, with maybe a real meal a day. He and I are complete opposites…we define the opposites attract theory. We have busy lives and most days we see each other in passing. I asked him to do the detox with me because I want him to be healthy, but also because I wanted to do something together. He shockingly agreed!
What my Grouchy Husband Loved:
- He lost 10 pounds. A secret about my Grouchy Husband is he is obsessed with his weight and his pants size. Whenever he comes with me to the girl’s doctor appointments, he absolutely must weigh himself. I had to buy a scale just so he could weigh himself after the detox. I’m not sure if all men are like this. Please let me know if you know one. This detox was a drastic change to his diet. It was hard work for him to be on the detox so it was a very nice surprise to have lost so much weight.
- He could eat meat on the detox. I cooked meat every way I knew and tried new recipes. He was exited to be eating so much steak, bacon, and pork products.
Things to know about my Grouchy Husband’s experience:
- Cutting out coffee, soda, and processed sugar was a major change in my Grouchy Husband’s diet and it took a week and a half for his body to adjust to no sugar and start to detoxify itself. He had a headache for the first five days on the detox. This got better and eventually went away. He was constantly blowing his nose and the discharge was smelly. I read this was caused by detoxing dairy from your system. All of these are expected symptoms on the detox.
- He learned to eat vegetables. Before the detox the only vegetables my Grouchy Husband was eating was corn, peas, and tomato sauce. On the detox he couldn’t eat his normal empty calories so he was hungry and ate broccoli, brussel sprouts, and zucchini pasta.
- He had second thoughts in the middle of the first week. He said he was only going to do a week, then it was only 11 days, then two weeks, and finally it was the last week and he just had to finish. 21 days doesn’t seem like a long time but when you are only on day 10 and hungry for a piece of fruit, it feels like forever away.
It’s been a couple of weeks since we finished the 21 Day Sugar Detox. The picture above is a week after the detox. We were at a wedding, we could drink alcohol again and we both felt great. My Grouchy Husband is now drinking large coffees with only one sugar. He doesn’t chew gum, drank one soda the other day, still eats nuts for snack and likes my pumpkin pancakes. I’m so proud he finished the detox and has made changes to his diet to better his health. I’m so proud we did it together.
To learn more about the 21 Day Sugar Detox or buy the book and online guides click here.
Proud Wife to a Grouchy Sugar-Detoxed Husband,
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links, but all opinions are mine. I will only share with you products and services I have tried and would use myself or for my family. By clicking an affiliate link, you are helping to support this blog. Thank you.